Dear pilots and friends, I really was hoping we could make it and enjoy a great weekend together this next July, with the end of the confinement for the Covid19.
Unfortunately, latest decisions made in France this past Saturday night confirmed that even if borders were to be opened by the time of the event, there will still be a required period of quarantine when entering the country. We still have no information on potential reopening of hotels and even less of the restaurants.
These circumstances are as we know very exceptional and unpredictable.
We have to adapt and accept the fact that this 2020 edition will not be.I am very sad to announce this but think it is the wise choice.
All registered pilots are by default registered for next year’s edition (2021).
For pilots not willing to participate next year and preferring getting their registration fee back, please send me an email to allan(dot)cohen(@t)maccannes(dot)com with your PayPal account. Note that PayPal took roughly a 5euro charge on your registration so in case of deregistration and reimbursement, I will deduct 5euros from paid amount (and you may receive a bit less again).
Hope you are safe and to see you soon with all the new models and projects you must have all been working on during these past months.
a group of 10 pilots where already on the slope, for some free flight on the
slopes. The wind was North, with variable lift and wind of 6-8m/s. The
organization team started installing all the bases on both slopes to be ready
for any conditions during the next three days. By the middle of the afternoon,
the wind had switched to south (light) with some foamies and light F3F runs.
The weather forecast on Windy.tv was expecting that condition for the day, it
was consistent; let’s hope their forecast for the next 3 days is right also!
Day 1: Light conditions, slow start:
of all the pilots started at 09.00 on the slope, with coffee, tea and
croissants. People got all their number assigned, some free flights on the
south slope (3-4m/s) as allowed until 10. Unfortunately, all pilots were there
and ready by 10.00, but the wind was too weak. We had to wait until 15.00 on
the dot to start round 1 on the South slope, with light wind (5m/s) which
quickly went up to 7m/s average. We managed to validate 4 rounds in those
conditions, and finished the flights at 18.15.
Krebs did great flights all day long and was at the end of the day leading the
Day 2: South slope as we love it:
morning, pilots started arriving at 08.00. wind was already blowing at 6m/s,
south. Tende South slope: welcome back!!! The weather forecast is expecting
some growing conditions, with up to 10m/s in the afternoon. Most of the pilots
were there by 09.00 as we had asked at the end of the previous day, but
unfortunately some pilots were not there during the announcement (packing in
the cars) so we had to wait until 10.00 (initial “website” time) to get
everyone ready. The round 5 started at 10.00 with a nice 7m/s wind. Flights
were very fair between pilots, thanks to the clouds covering us and limiting
the thermals. We managed to do 7 more rounds until the fog covered the whole
area at 15.17. Only 5 pilots were left to race, but the interruption lasted
more than 30 minutes and we had to cancel that round. Luckily, we managed to
start one last round at 16.45, with lighter conditions as time passed (going
down from 7+ m/s to 5m/s), yet still within local rules (4m/s minimum and
average during the run, wind orientation less than 35deg off).
At the end
of day 2, Pierre Rondel did get back on the lead after that total of 12 rounds,
followed by Philippe Lanes and Andreas Bohlen.
time was for some good local fresh made cuisine at the restaurant “La
Margueria”. Everyone enjoyed their drink with appetizer (Pissaladiere and
Barbajuan), Dinner appetizer (Mozzarella di Buffala from Cuneo with grilled red
peppers, pesto sauce and pinions, Main course (Oven baked Lamb with baby gnocchi
and girolle mushrooms) and choice of dessert. I have to actually really thank
the restaurant team for their efficiency in serving our large group with such
great and tasty products.
Day 3 : Stamina:
wind is already blowing like the previous day. Lift is not as good (slightly
off) as people do some free flights with foamies before the beginning of the
competition announced at 09.00.
blowing at 6m/s, we start the race but the pace is much slower, both in the
bases but also to leave the slope to the landing area (pilots have to climb as
much as possible before walking in front of the Bunker and land by the front of
the slope, it is impossible to walk through the usual path). Rounds are taking
a little more than 1 hour. We still manage to validate another 5 rounds, and as
it is only 14.48, we can even launch one final round before the end of the
competition. Last flight was validated at 15.51. Time for computing the new
rounds that got us to a total of 18 valid rounds and discover the ranking.
End of Competition:
times were computed, an Aperitif was offered to all pilots.
almost 500 runs during the weekend, we really all wanted to thank all the
judged, who have been standing in the wind and sun, and yet stayed concentrated
and very efficient all weekend.
We also want to thank the sponsors without whom it would not be possible to make this competition happen: BlueBird Servos, la Ligue d’Aeromodelisme, La région PACA, Lindinger, les commercants de Tende (Hotel du Centre, Boulangerie des Merveilles, Restaurant la Margueria). This year was very special for me with my baby born only a few months ago. I would like to thank my wife Nicole for supporting me in still making this 10th Edition of the Lemoncello Cup happen.
final results: Best time was made by Michael Krebs (36.32 sec on round 9), the
final podium is:
the weather forecast keeps on changing. Yesterday, many websites would project north wind and risks of rain, some would say south and some just clouds.
today, I see more some trends towards south wind, clouds and little risks of rain. I like seeing the forecast getting better in a night, let’s hope it continues to evolve like this as the summer storms break today. I will see you all on friday morning anyway, and many already on thursday PM I’m sure!
In regards to new drone related laws in place in France since the beginning of this year, it is mandatory that all models used during the contest are registered on the following internet portal belonging the the French civil aviation agency (DGAC)
Day 2 was quite like the first day of the competition, with wind that started blowing correctly by 11h30 and let us validate the second group of the Round 4. We managed to validate 2 more rounds after that, and one could not be finished by 5 pilots. At the end of that second day, 6 valid rounds, fog and rain that let us leave the slope by 5PM so we could get ourselves clean before the Banquet at the restaurant ‘La Margueria’ in Tende.
This Dinner was also hosting the lottery from the French F3F World Championship Team. A live feed broadcasted the draw while pilots were enjoying Fresh made Socca.
Last day of the competition permitted another 3 last rounds from 11.30 to 2PM. The organizing team and judges decided to stop the competition, as the rain was clearly visible in front of the slope, not letting any more valid round to be made.
All planes were packed while the judges put away the equipment and computed the results.
An error actually was made while typing the results for Sebastien Lanes on round 8, who did a 43 and not a 48sec. Complete results are available on F3XVault.
Winner for this 2018 Edition is Pierre Rondel, followed by Sebastien Lanes and Matthieu Mervelet (all members of the French WorldChamp Team). Team Ranking goes down to MMP, AL LANes Team and Styria. Prize distribution was made under showers comparable to the one in Moscow for the World Cup finals…. I have to admit I was totally soaked!
Many thanks to all the Sponsors for this competition: BlueBird Servos, Lindinger, Region PACA, Restaurant La Margueria, Hotel du Centre, the city of Tende.
Very Special Thanks to the judges, my great small team of pilots and friends who spent their days without flying, always there, motivated, concentrated and devoted to the pleasure of the competitors.Eric, Paul, Manu, Etienne: Without you, nothing could be done! You are the BEST!
First day of competition started with registration of the 30 pilots at 9am until 10.
Light south wind was blowing, unsuffiscient for race.
It died and turned north for a few minutes, and then back south (weather was still unstable).
We eventually could start the competition at 12:00 with 5m/s.
The wind grew up to 9m/s with bursts of 11m/s.
Flights were mostly in the 43-45sec. only one safety line was crossed on round 2 by Mortz Haensli as he entered the race behind the CD and judge on base B.
At 3:00 we had managed to validate 3 rounds and were already half way through the fourth round.
Rain drops started popping, and by 3:15 the organizers were obliged to stop the race, only 5 pilots from the end of the round.
The storm lasted too long and we had to cancel the second group scores (group scoring of half the pilots was announced before the round).
We tried running again but after a few pilots rain and fog appeared again.
The day was announced over at 6:00, with 3,5 rounds validated.